Sunday, March 16, 2008

Across the Universe

I think as homework y'all should get your hands on a copy of Julie Taymor's Across the Universe. It is really incredible as a piece of work. A film clearly directed by a theatre maker. And something I think we might be able to take some inspiration from in its fluid movement between text, music, and film collage. Also in its generally interdisciplinary nature. I recommend watching it again with the directors commentary because Taymor and the composer and choreographer talk about the process. It is very informative and exciting.

Anyway. It made me really consider if we want to kind of throw this story into the pan and boil it down to the images. What is Cupid? Who would be a cupid in our understanding of that job? What is Aphrodite? What is the separating of the grains? and the ants that come to help? We have all talked about this. But it suddenly felt a bit more clear to me.

No comments: