Saturday, February 16, 2008

"And their Eyes Met" and "Aphrodite's confession"

"And their eyes met"
In the dim light of the candle/flashlight/headlamp?...after months of marriage and the most incredible physical ,yet sightless, intimacy their eyes finally met. And in that moment of recognition Eros opened his wings and flew.

I have to track it down...but there was a beautiful quote I found when Craig and I were composing our wedding and writing our vows about how that moment of recognition. The moment when that deep inner part of yourself sees the inner part of another in such a way that you both recognize yourself in the other. It talks about how it so terrifying and how if we are unprepared or unwilling to accept the magnitude of that transformation, then we are apt to be blown about from each other. I think that is what is happening in this scene.


"Aphrodite's Concession"

Ah. yes. of course. You like so many other fools think I am jealous. For thousands of years, you and your foolish kin have painted me a vain , superficial, embarrassment of a goddess. You have disgraced, discredited and demeaned me and all that I stand for. I am the goddess of love. Love! Not just beauty. Love is NOT beauty. Love is not Beautiful. Love is hard, dirty and endless work. And it is not different for the beautiful. You are cursed with the burden of loves twin easily won...but lust will not hold your roots in the ground through the wind storm. A flickering glance may breathe life into a flaming torch of passion time and time and time again. But a good rain will douse it cold. Lust disguised as love comes quick and easily to the beautiful. And for this I pity you! for this, I disgusted sit back and watch the dim-witted beauties muck up everything for themselves and everyone who feeds their illusion of worth.
But for the awake. the alert. the capable. For those beauties whose countenances are not more than a gorgeous sculpted set of muscles and nerves and flesh that hold in their souls...for those I am unwilling to sit aside and let the foolish rob you of your true worth. So for you I pull you from the herd to face challenges that go beyond a contest of beauty or a union of lust or duty... And in your case I give you a challenge beyond find just love for a mortal lifetime. I give you the greatest challenge any god has the power to give. I give you an immortal eternity to make love. To work and trust and fight and fuck and kiss and scream and make love again. And while it was not my wish to have you face that eternity in the arms of my son...it seems some aspects of love go beyond my power. You have proven to me that your heart is more fierce and durable that your perfect face. Even I, can't seem to break you. either of you. So I have no choice but to joyously endorse you and welcome you as the immortal lover of my son. My job is done.

No comments: